Are you interested to breed betta fish? If yes, then the first thing to learn is, the difference between male and female betta fish. For some people may be able to directly distinguish between male and female betta fish, but if still not so sure, here I will try to explain the details that distinguish between both of them.
The first thing to look is an egg spot. An egg spot is a white dot by the anus of the fish, only female will have egg spot when mature, some young males may have an egg spot as well.
Fin shape, the pelvic fins on female will be shorter and skinnier than male pelvic fins. The anal fin on the male will be more boxy and less sloped than the females. The dorsal fin on the male will be larger than the female. In general the male have more larger fins than the female. If your betta have more longer fins than this male and female iam showing you have a male.
Body shape, the females belly will be larger than the males, the belly is above the pelvic fins. The male will seem to have less sloped head with more of a point.
The eyes, males eyes tend to be larger and stick out from the head slightly more than the females.
After knowing the difference between male and female betta fish. The next thing is to find the right partner to increase the success of breeding.
- Betta fish Females should not have a body much larger than males
- Betta fish Females should not be more aggressive than males
- Preferably male and female marriage of one kind.
Male Character Ready to Breed:
- It’s age ready to breed
- Collect enough foam (not an absolute requirement, sometimes there is no foam at all, but when put together with females, he just took out the foam)
- Bodies must be bigger and should be more aggressive than females
Female Character Ready to Breed:
- There is like a white egg that wants to get out of the anus.
- The belly is slightly distended (please distinguished distended by food or bloated it is time to breed) how easy, see the belly of her female in the morning before being fed
- And of course has entered the age that fit for the breeding process.
For the next process I will probably make a special post in the way of breeding hickey at a later time. Because if I discuss here now it will be out of topics.
The important thing I forgot to say is that never place two or more male betta fish in one tank. It will only make your betta fish damaged.
Also you can visit my another article ‘ How to Breed Betta fish ‘